Saturday, November 5, 2011

Ribs & Day 5

A whole new wave of people have joined in on the Thankful daily posting. Welcome my friends. Actually they really are my friends, and I like them, so I'm glad. :)) Everyone else though, slackers.

Oh. My. Goodness! I was completely out of things to say and resolved to go ahead and tell you my Day 5 thingy. Then I remembered the crazy hilarious conversation I had with my Granny today! Ah! I was rolling laughing! My family is crazy, unless of course, you are family and reading this, then I just mean most of the family and certainly not you. But really. They have this amazing ability to blow things so far out of proportion it's beyond any realm of understanding. Ok, on to this afternoon. (I just want to clarify, this is a funny story, everything turns out fine) My Granny calls on the brink of hysteria. Her and my Grandpa were driving home from a wedding shower and for some reason they were voluntarily driving through a very bad part of Fort Wayne. Now I haven't lived in Indiana since I was 12 but from what I remember Fort Wayne is like Newport News or Hampton. It's not as bad as the reputation. Anyways, they often drive through this particularly rough area, why I don't know, and see this man cooking ribs on some sort of grill on the street. Again, I have no idea why. But they always say to one another, "Sometime we should stop and get some ribs," and then the other says, "You're right, we really should." (Ok, I may be ad libing.) They always say this but never stop, until today. They leave the shower, having just eaten and have plans to meet friends for dinner in 2 hours, but my Grandpa is determined that today is the day he is getting those street cooked ribs. He goes inside a less than reputable building and leaves Granny in the car talking to my Uncle Bob. Now Bob is a talker. So I know she spent at least 20 minutes on the phone with him before she called me. I get the call, we talk about things, I ask what she's doing and preceeds to tell me everything I just told you. This is when the hysteria sets in. She says she doesn't know what to do, all these people are walking by -going in and out of this building- and he's been in there for about 30 minutes. I ask if I should call him for her but of course he has left his cell phone in the car. I ask her about the car doors, are they locked? No. I tell her to lock the doors. Then she says, someone is going to cut off her fingers for her rings. She has this beautiful diamond ring (just saying, someday it's getting passed on to me, so naturally I'm concerned). I tried to reassure her, that if someone were to rob her, they probably wouldn't jump straight to cutting off her fingers. Then she reassures me, if someone tried to steal her rings, she would tell them they'd have to cut off her fingers to get them. Oh good. So she's frantic about getting robbed and now he's been in there for 40 minutes. This is when she tells me that Grandpa has left his window down. This whole time she is practically yelling about the shady people walking by, the bad area she's in, the diamond rings she's wearing. I can't help but laugh. Granny just keeps saying she doesn't know what to do, maybe he's been robbed (he carries a lot of cash) he's probably laying on the floor in there, bleeding and these people have their ribs and his billfold. She's sitting on her fingers, freaking out and saying no way she's going in there. This goes on another 10 minutes, we discuss other possiblities, like maybe he just decided to eat them there, they had to kill the pig, all kinds of things... Then finally! He emerges with the ribs! Now my Grandpa isn't one for explanations. It is what it is. It took an hour for him to get a box of ribs, but he got them. The End. And also the end of my story.

And now I have 20 minutes to share my Day 5...
Today I am Thankful that God is in the center of my marriage to Frank. It is by God's Grace that Frank and I have survived the past 2 1/2 years of marriage. I am incredibly thankful for the transformation that has taken place in our marriage because of God. I know He has amazing plans for us and we are looking forward to them, whatever it may be and where ever it may take us.

No comments:

Post a Comment