Sunday, April 17, 2011

GPS Dependant

So. This is mostly about how loyally and unquestionably I follow my GPS.

The very first thing out of place in this story is me, in Yorktown. After handing out tickets at a vendor fair I attended a very brief show in Hampton. So incredibly glad I went, this woman FED me(!) the very best stuffed shells and lasagna E.V.E.R! Oh my! It was ah-maz-ingggg! (I picked her brain and learned the secrets to her red sauce!!!!) - score of the day! If you can't tell I'm totally stoked! Seriously, I wanted to curl up on this stranger's couch and nap after eating! Ok, ok. Back to the story... Needless to say I am not very familiar with Hampton, have no GPS signal and am completely unsure of how to get to the highway from this lady's house. Alas, after a few moments of holding up traffic trying to leave the neighborhood my GPS, Monica, has figured out how to get us home. (Yes, our GPS has a name.) I spent a few red lights and side streets checking in with the fam. And manage to get to the highway without too many difficulties, I'm not gonna count being in the wrong lane, trying to turn down the wrong street and changing lanes in the intersection... I make it through the tunnel, back to my home turf and follow Monica's directions to merge left. It's then I realize, I'm barreling down the HOV entrance at 75 um + (don't tell Frank) while all the gates are down. I'm reading the sign that says HOV closed to ALL traffic, seeing the lights and still driving toward the entrance! I get back over, I'm pretty sure I checked to make sure it was still clear. Then looked in the rearview, half expecting to see some blue lights, when I notice 2 other cars following me back off the HOV ramp! Gah! Monica got turned off immediately and I made it home.

You may not know but I went to a Ladies Retreat this weekend with my church. I've never considered myself overly zealous, probably the complete opposite, but I am going to get up on my soap box for just a few minutes. So this has got me thinking, why do I not follow God with the same blind loyalty? Why do I question my Creator? I'll follow a stupid piece of technology into oncoming traffic but I hesitate to do God's will! What a wake up call! It's amazing how much the Lord has shown me in the past 3 days, and you can bet I'll be following God's Perfect Street (eh, needed an 'S' word) towards His will for my life from now on.

And that my friends, is all for tonight. 'Night!



1 comment:

  1. Good post Rachel... It does make you think... When I am somewhere new, I will BLINDLY follow my GPS (which doesn't have a name, but I am thinking it should) even when my better judgement tells me it's leading me in the wrong direction. If only it were that easy for my faith in God to be that all-committed.

    ReplyDelete