Sunday, April 10, 2011

Awful Luckie

Yesterday ended with a big loud bang! Banging piano that is. We ventured out to Hampton after an already too long of a day to meet up with some friends. The venue? Luckie's Dueling Piano Bar. >>Mind you the last time I was in such a place was way back while attending a flag football tournament in Pensacola during college. My first experience at a piano bar? Let's just say, in-san-ity! We were there at least 4 nights in a row, including New Years Eve, and my life was never the same. The loud music, the camaraderie of singing off key and the pitchers of free beer certainly helped sky rocket those nights into an untouchable place in my memory. Fast forward 4 years, to a much better and sober me with a chance to revisit that magical place... Frank had never been to see dueling pianos, and I knew if I described it, he would announce "lame!" and our Saturday night would consist of watching the missed episode of The Ultimate Fighter. I told him to be surprised, I bribed him by volunteering to drive and I kept his mind off asking more questions by talking baseball... (oh the things....) I managed to get him inside the bar without too much resistance and then the fun started! We were easily the youngest people there, the most modestly dressed and by far the soberest! As the night progressed we managed to see some pretty strange things unfold before our very eyes, let me recount a few. The first was a very large man dancing to 'Foot Loose'. Luckily this was not the only time he broke it down. But Man! He could move! All eyes were on him (as he was the only one dancing and quite vigorously, at that) praying he wouldn't fall on the very small lady he dragged onto the floor. Notably next were the highly inebriated birthday girls who started dancing with one another. They also targeted the piano players, any chair in the immediate area or other person walking by. At one point a man ran up and stuck dollar bills into their showing underwear. Who ever you are, I applaud you! Hil-ar-ious! We saw a 20something wanna be Justin Bieber, down to the comb forward and skinny jeans. We noticed the crowd get younger and the bar get full as the last hour of the dueling pianos began. We laughed at everything! The strange dancing, the altered words of the songs, our own new found ability to sing louder than we had first dared. All in all it was another indescribable experience. Even Frank loved it, weren't expecting that were ya? So....I suggest you visit your local dueling piano bar asap! It's sure to be a night not soon forgotten! This is my disclaimer: If you are easily offended or overly sensitive to lewd and/or crazy behavior, skip it.

And this is my final thought from the night. If America is the melting pot for cultures, then the piano bar is easily the melting pot for ages. A must GO!

That is all....... For now...



1 comment: