Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Colorado Trail

Hello Friends! Boy has the past week been an adventure! Looking back it's so hard to believe so much has transpired in just 7 days...

Tuesday (13) Frank graduated from Corpsman school! Yay! They must not have been feeding my husband - he came home sooooo skinny!
I (with the help of my granny and mom) finally completed the ECU T-shirt blanket.
I had my final OB appointment at NMCP (Naval Medical Center Portsmouth) and was cleared to travel. :) 33 weeks (I know I look exhausted)
Wednesday (14) was a frenzy packing day. I already blogged about this, so... But here is a picture of most everything I accumulated while Frank was gone... Woops.
Frank got home Wednesday night at 8. First his flight out of San Antonio was delayed by an hour, so they bumped him from his original connection from Charlotte to Norfolk to a later flight. Then when he landed in Charlotte in time for his original flight, they moved him back. That flight was delayed for about 30 minutes but eventually he got home. Praise the Lord! I was a little worried that Kay wouldn't respond well to Frank coming home, since she hadn't seen him since January 1st. But the whole way to the airport she was chanting Daddy. I was going to videotape Kay greeting Daddy but I started bawling as soon as I saw him and that was the end of that.

Thursday (15) Our day started early, we finished packing, picked up the trailer (had to upgrade from the 4x8 to the 5x8 because we had way too much stuff), Frank and I walked over to Southland and had our last BBQ, fried chicken and sweet tea lunch while Kay went and had lunch with my parents, then we said goodbye. And I think that's all I can say about that without crying. So.

Thursday we drove from my mom and dad's to Beckley, West Virginia. 372 miles.
 Kay just woke up from her nap... Not a happy wake up, as you can see. I gave her bag 1 to cheer her up... My mom made 5 bags for, one for each day, full of snacks and things to keep her occupied. What an awesome idea!
 Daddy and Kay exploring the contents of her bag :)
 Now she's happy! New shades!

 Daddy and Kay swimming once we made it to Beckley!

Friday (16) Beckley to Indianapolis. 369 miles. We had an early & light breakfast at the hotel since I wanted to eat at Bob Evans! We attempted to go to the actual Bob Evans Farm but spent about 30 minutes driving around the Ohio country side without success. At this point I had to pee, again, (we pretty much stopped once an hour each day) was having some Braxton Hicks contractions and hungry. So we gave up looking for the original farm and got back onto the highway. Then low and behold the very next exit was the actual exit for the Bob Evans farm. Thank you Google maps for our 45 minute country detour.
 Hi Lolli! Wish you were here at your favorite place with me!
 We made a pit stop at Walmart for a walk before Kay's nap... Daddy caved and bought her a new Ariel swimming doll, which she won't put down (even now).
 Day 2! See Ariel? And our massive Uhaul?
 Movie watching :) Also <3 this juice box holder! She can hold her own juice box and we don't have to worry about her getting juice all over!
 Swimming in Indy
 With Uncle Nick!
 Kay loves Nick and Lisa's kitty, Holly. This is right before Kay laid right on Holly to give her a hug and a kiss!
 How Kay does yoga.
 Swimming with Uncle Nick, Daddy and Granny

Saturday (17) Indianapolis to Kansas City, MO. 490 miles. Our longest and furthest day. We pretty much drove straight from Indy through Illinois to St. Louis. I wanted to take Frank and Kay to the Gateway Arch.
 Lunch at Pappy's BBQ. We waited in line for like an hour to order our food. Which was ok.
 See the storm clouds? We got caught in a flash flood downpour and spent all of 15 minutes at the Arch. I really wanted to ride to the top, but it was sold out and lightning... Next time.
Frank and Kay

After we left the Arch we stopped at Candy's Kitchen for their famous malts and candies. No pictures because it was pouring down rain, and we left our phones in the car to sprint inside for said ice cream. It was delicious and definitely worth the stop! We also left with candies, cookies and a bunch of yummy treats we did not need. :) We then drove to Kansas City, where I discovered the hotel I booked was no where near the highway but 20 miles north of the city. And Frank wanted BBQ for dinner, so he took us to Oklahoma Joe's. Which is in a gas station. I was less than thrilled that I had to stand in line twice in one day for food. And much less thrilled about doing it in a gas station. I had a very poor attitude, but the BBQ was amazing!

Sunday (18) Early morning swim for Frank and Kay, then we headed to the International House of Prayer for prayer and worship. We wanted to go to service but went to the wrong location, by the time we figured it out and drove to the right place, we couldn't find parking for our truck + uhaul :/ So we got back on the road.

Sunday (18) Kansas City, MO to Colby, KS. 373 miles. No pictures. Kansas was boring and really, really windy. The landscape was absolutely beautiful, so much blue sky! We got to our hotel early, Frank and Kay swam then we had dinner at the Mexican restaurant in our hotel, which was awesome!

Monday (19) LAST DAY! Colby, KS to Aurora, CO. 225 miles.

It was a short 3 hour drive. Seeing the Rocky Mountains for the first time was breathtaking, and not just because of the elevation.

Will post again soon about our week so far! <3

2 comments:

  1. This is a great blog! I really enjoyed reading it Rachel... And I am totally in love with your mom's "Bag for Every Day" idea... And the juice box holder! Glad to see that you were able to create such precious memories on your way!! And I hope you are doing okay-- I know leaving your family was tough. I've been there. Love you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog!! You guys are soooooo adventurous!!!! I also love that bag idea! So glad u made it. Looks like the whole fam is having fun together despite a very difficult few days. Way to make the best of it.

    ReplyDelete