Thursday, December 15, 2011

Texas!

After blogging for a month straight I feel like it's been foreverrrrr since my last post. We all know that's not the truth, but it sure feels like it. Today I think, will be be pretty random, and a catch up of our trip to San Antonio.

First, I just want to say how exhausting it is being a temporary-single parent. I never imagined how difficult it would be to care for Kaylee by myself. I had often felt, when Frank was home, that I never got a minute to myself, well now I can see how incredibly untrue that was, and how true it is now. We are still visiting family in Indiana, and I do get help, but ultimately Kay is my responsibility. The feeding, bathing, teeth brusher (she hates this, so super challenging), diaper changing, potty training, nap time enforcer, and comforter, among others, all falls to me. I am also the sole disciplinarian which is probably the most difficult aspect of being a single mom. Besides the fact that Kay is becoming the ultimate mom-manipulator. She can and will cry at the drop of a hat, especially if she doesn't get her way. She'll throw herself on the floor and kick and scream and carry on. I'm determined to end that behavior, I cannot stand the temper tantrums. The terrible-two's are upon us my friends, be warned, it's awful. The other day, for example, Kay needed a spank, so I obliged. She laughed at me. Seriously, I spanked her, and she laughed! Talk about frustrating! Then while in Texas, when Frank corrected her behavior, she straightened right up. Proof! Kids need a father!

We had a crazy good time in Texas! I blogged about our first night there and the concert in my late Day 30 post. I did leave out a small funny thing Kay did though. She has been talking more and discovering her emotions and possession both of things and feelings. Like last week after I brushed Kay's teeth before bed she told me, "Dee Dee sad" (That's what she calls herself) I said "Oh no, why honey?" Kay said "Mouth hurt." So after we landed in Texas, rented the car, strapped the seat and girlie in, programmed the GPS, and on the highway heading toward Ft. Sam, I let out a big "Wooooo!" Of course I rented the smallest car ever, and here's a little history for you, I love little rally cars! My first car was a piece... neon, and I ran the wheels off it. I drove as fast and wild as I could, where ever I went, and 11 years later, I still drive little cars like my maniac 16-year-old self. So I'm whipping this little thing around the highway, in and out of rush hour traffic, cruising (of course, I never, ever drive our truck like this) and Kay from the backseat says "Mommy's cited!" (excited) I hollered a big 'You Bet!' And asked about Daddy. Kay said, "Daddy cited too! And Dee Dee cited! Mommy, Daddy and Dee Dee cited!" It was so sweet and insightful. I'm sure Kay has heard the word excited but I don't think I've ever heard her use it before that day.

And that brings me to Friday... Frank was supposed to be in class alllll day. But minutes before walking out of our hotel room to run errands and shop, he called and we ended up spending the morning on base at the PX. Um, for non military, it's the Army's version of the NEX, or Exchange. But in the Army it's called the Postal Exchange. Weird I know. So we had breakfast, shopped, and hung out for the better part of 2 hours before Frank had to be back at his barracks. We were reunited that night in time for dinner. Basically, it's always time to eat when I'm pregnant. We had dinner at Pico de Gallo, where we discovered the best.salsa.ever! Seriously I could have drank it!



There was also a huge and amazing Mariachi band... I'm talking an 8 member, instrument playing, Spanish singing band! Frank is hogging those pictures... But they sang Kay a song, who knows what about, and then they sang Happy Birthday! The wait staff also brought out the huge sombrero, fried ice cream and sang... Kay enjoyed every second of the attention! We finished the night by walking down to the Riverwalk, and taking a boat-ride tour.





 


Saturday we spent a half day at SeaWorld. Kay got to see Abby and Elmo, Penguins, and Shamu :) Well, she slept through the entire Shamu show but she thinks she saw him. Who am I to argue with a 2 year old. She still talks about getting her face painted, she says, "Peng-in face."




We had puffy tacos at Los Barrios, then walked down to the Alamo and hitched a ride on Cinderella's Carriage. Kay hollered "Rella's heese" each time we saw a passing pumpkin carriage so we obliged her. She woke up Sunday morning saying Rella's heese... and has talked about it each say since. 


Sunday morning we had breakfast at Magnolia Pancake Haus. We will be going back. Each visit. So good! Then we shopped for boots! Here's a picture of Kay in her get up! Momma also got a new pair of boots, no picture :( Later we tried our boots and walked to the Mexican Market Place, we ate at Mi Tierra (absolute best Carne Asada EVER!) then walked around the shops and scoped out the terracotta pottery.




Sooooo

No comments:

Post a Comment