Monday, October 31, 2011

Our next Great Adventure

As if a new baby wasn't exciting enough... we'll be headed west this spring too. Denver, in fact. As I write, er, type this, it is currently snowing in our new soon to be home. If you know me at all, and I like to think you do, you know I hate the cold, snow, ice, etc. Growing up in northern Indiana and splitting time during the winter between there and the frozen tundra of Ohio, I experienced my fair share of cold winters. The cherry on top is the one incredibly long winter we spent practically snowed-in in Wisconsin. You know that story your grandparents told about walking miles through the snow, uphill both ways to school? Well, I really did have to walk uphill both ways in knee deep snow. Granted it was only to the bus stop but it was a long walk, and it was even longer to my 5th grade legs when it was 30 below. Let's just say the past 15 years south of the Mason-Dixion has made my blood as thin as water. Any visit north results in loud complaints from yours truly about said cold weather. I spent my most recent trip, last week, in Indiana wrapped in a quilt. In fact, I'm still unthawing. So you can imagine I fought the idea of moving into the snow covered mountains tooth and nail. And now I am fully realizing I have spent more than half my life in the bless-ed South! Although, after this 4 year duty station, the north will again claim half of my existence. I mean, I'm going to turn 30 and 31 in the bitter cold with the possibility of snow on the ground on my birthday! Oh where's the justice?! I'm a Southern Girl! A Carolina Girl! And will soon be residing in the Mile High City. There's a lot to be excited for too... Like I can wear my boots all the time! And we're looking at buying a house, so finally I get to paint some walls!!! And unintentionally kill flowers and tomato plants! Kay will have room to play outside and Frankie has promised her an outside kitty. Lots to look forward to, but lots of great people to say good bye to. That, we're dreading.



No comments:

Post a Comment